Thank you for your interest in permanent makeup! This page is dedicated to some of the most common questions asked about microblading and other forms of permanent makeup. Please read the page in its entirety before booking your appointment to ensure you are a good candidate and are fully prepared before your appointment. Getting the best results starts before you ever step foot in my studio! I am so looking forward to meeting you at your appointment and creating your dream brows, I can’t wait to meet you!
- WHAT IS MICROBLADING?
Microblading is a form of permanent makeup where a small blade is used to create thin hair-like strokes throughout a persons brows, giving the illusion of a full, natural brow. Is it a semi-permanent procedure, with results lasting 1-3 years.
Microblading is meant to be a natural enhancement, and to create the appearance of full, beautiful brows. It looks most natural on clients who have full brow hair, and are wanting to perfect their shape and add natural fullness. The more hair you have, the more natural it will appear.
This procedure is ideal for those who prefer a super natural look. If you are hoping to ditch the brow makeup entirely and fill your brows in daily, you are better suited for a combination brow.
Microblading heals best on young, normal/dry skin. Those with combination/oily or aging skin are not ideal candidates for microblading, and are better suited for a combination or ombre brows.
- WHAT IS COMBINATION BROW?
A combination brow combines microblading strokes with manual shading. Like microblading, results typically last 1-3 years depending on your skin type.
If you have naturally sparse brow hair or uneven brow growth, a combination brow is perfect for you! Soft shading blends out any unevenness in the growth and can give a more 3D result. It is also ideal for those looking for a more defined or filled in brow. We can add as much or as little shading to give a variety of different looks!
This is a beautiful look for all skin types (including oily/aging skin) and heals very soft and beautiful.
If you are unsure of what service to book, a combination brow is the safest choice!
- HOW LONG DOES IT LAST?
Permanent makeup is designed to fade over time. Factors such as skin type, lifestyle, age, metabolism, medications, and pigment color affect the longevity of the tattoo. The sun and some kinds of lighting (tanning beds) can affect the rate at which these pigments are broken down. Following the given aftercare instructions is critical to getting your best healed results, and touch-up your brows every 12-18 months (as needed). Touch-ups are normal and expected for Permanent Cosmetics.
*Please note that final results vary and CANNOT be guaranteed due to the nature of skin as it heals. A follow-up appointment is necessary 4-10 weeks after your initial session where we can assess your pigment retention and perfect your permanent makeup!
- AM I A CANDIDATE?
Unfortunately, not everyone is a candidate for permanent makeup. I want each of my clients to get the absolute best results possible, and not every skin type accommodates that. The following list disqualify you from currently receiving permanent makeup. With questions regarding this, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
You are not a candidate if you are…
- Pregnant or breastfeeding
- Currently using or have been on Accutane within the last 12 months
- Have a freshly tanned/sunburned face
- Are taking blood thinning medications
- Are currently undergoing treatment for cancer
Chemotherapy or Radiation treatment within last 12 months
- WHAT FACTORS WILL EFFECT MY RESULTS?
- Oily Skin: Increased oil production can cause hair strokes to blur and fade very quickly, or not stick at all. If you have combination or oily skin, you are a candidate for a combination brows, but not for microblading.
- Sun Exposure: Increased exposure to the sun will cause premature fading. I recommend all my clients purchase Cannasmack Ink Guard on Amazon to protect their healed brows from the sun.
- Excessive Bleeding: Excessive bleeding during your procedure will greatly affect how your body retains pigment. Pinpoint bleeding throughout the procedure is normal, but excessive bleeding causes pigment to fade very quickly and heal ashy. While bleeding is not entirely in our control, it is important that you follow before care instructions to help minimize bleeding. This includes avoiding blood thinning medications (after consulting your doctor) and alcohol consumption 24 hours before your procedure.
- DOES IT HURT?
Most clients report little to no pain throughout their procedure. While pain tolerance varies between clients, a topical 5% Lidocaine is used throughout the procedure to make you comfortable. Having the procedure during your menstrual cycle may increase your sensitivity.
- HOW SHOULD I PREPARE FOR MY APPOINTMENT?
Preparing for your appointment is just as important for good healed results as post care. Failure to follow pre-care may result in you being sent home the day of your appointment, so please read the following carefully! Coming prepared to your appointment means better healed results and a better overall experience.
2 WEEKS BEFORE:
- BOTOX: If you regularly get Botox or Dysport, it must be done at least 14 days prior to your appointment. It takes at least that long to settle in the skin. Receiving it withing 14 days of your appointment will result in being sent home and asked to reschedule.
- WAXING/THREADING: I recommend coming to your appointment with your brows grown out, no need to have them cleaned up before! I prefer to see how they grow naturally, and will clean them up for you at your appointment. If you need to clean them up beforehand, please do so at least 2 weeks before your appointment. If you tint your brows, please do so at least 7 days prior.
- RETIN-A: Please refrain from using any retin-a products in the brow area for 2 weeks leading up to your appointment.
24 HOURS BEFORE:
- To minimize bleeding during the procedure, please avoid any alcohol and excessive caffeine. Blood thinning medications such as Ibuprofen and Advil should also be avoided unless prescribed by a doctor.
- Map directions to the studio. I have a strict 10 minute late policy, so please plan ahead to make sure you know how long the commute to the studio takes, and plan for traffic if appropriate.
DAY OF YOUR APPOINTMENT:
- Avoid exercise. Exercising increases blood flow and will cause excessive bleeding, leading to poor healed results.
- Makeup: You are welcome to come to your appointment with or without makeup on. We will be taking lots of photos, so come however you are most comfortable. If you regularly fill in your brows, coming with at least your brows filled in helps me see your regular shape.
- Bring your brow makeup. If you have a specific product you love, bring it along!
- RELAX! Feeling nervous is normal. We are going to work together to create your dream brows! Take a deep breath and get excited!
- I’VE HAD MY BROWS DONE BEFORE, WILL YOU DO THEM?
I require that anyone who has had their brows done previously by another artist book a consult.
I typically only go over other artists work if it’s at least 85-90% faded, and all new clients to me are considered initial sessions.
I want to give my clients the very best and help create their dream brows. If I don’t think we can achieve what you’re wanting with your existing work, I will give recommendations on how to help the ink fade more quickly or recommend a removal artist.
- WHAT CAN I EXPECT IMMEDIATELY AFTER MY APPOINTMENT?
Immediately after getting your brows done, you may experience minor redness or swelling around the treated area, which typically goes away within 24 hours. Over the next few hours, the pigment in the skin will oxidize, making the brows look darker and warmer (red) than they were initially. This is normal and expected. Pigment typically fades anywhere from 20-40% once fully healed.
Around day 3-4, you may notice light scabbing and flaking on the treated area. This is normal! Please refrain from picking at the brows. Doing so will result in loss of pigment in those areas and can cause scarring. Brows may appear spotty or patchy until the entire brow has finished healing. Once all the flaking is complete (usually around day 10), the brows will appear much lighter. The pigment will darken over the next 4-6 weeks and the pigment will return as it’s healed color.
At 4-6 weeks, your brows will be fully healed. Whatever pigment that does not return will be addressed at your touch up appointment. At this appointment, we will asses your retention, touch up the spots that didn’t stick, and can adjust the pigment color to give you perfect brows! Once the brows have healed from your touch up appointment, you will have beautiful, full brows for 12-36 months!
Following the given aftercare is crucial to obtain the best results! All clients are expected to follow the following instructions exactly to get the best healed results! All products needed for your aftercare will be provided to you at your appointment.
- Keep your new brows dry until ALL flaking has stopped. This means keeping them dry in the shower, and avoiding sweating, saunas, and steam for the next 10-14 days. No working out until all flaking has finished.
- Cleanse morning and night for 7 days with the provided cleanser.
- Apply a thin layer of aftercare balm to the brows 2-3x a day for 14 days.
- No makeup can go on or around the brows for 14 days. You may wear makeup around the brows, but leave at least one inch around them at all times to prevent infection.
- Avoid direct sun exposure for 2 weeks. Please plan vacations and outings accordingly to avoid as much sun as possible.
- Do not touch, pick, rub, or scratch the brows. Do not pick the scabs or flakes as they come off, this will remove the pigment and lead to patchiness and scarring.
- No anti-aging or acne products on the brows ever (anything with Retinol, Glycolic Acid, Salicylic Acid, etc.)
- DO I NEED A TOUCH UP APPOINTMENT?
Yes! PMU is a two-step process, and a touch up is strongly recommended to get the best results. Also known as the “perfecting session”, a touch up is done 4-10 weeks after your initial session, and is where we assess your retention, perfect the shape and color, and add more dimension. Touch ups are very important and add to the overall results and longevity of your PMU.
- DO I NEED A CONSULTATION BEFORE RECEIVING PERMANENT COSMETICS?
A Consultation is recommended. This is where we can go over any questions or concerns, as well as provide you with a “pre appointment kit”. The pre appointment kit will include your paperwork, alcohol swabs, and numbing gel so that you can show up to your appointment numb and ready for some new brows.
- HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?
Initial sessions take 2 hours.
Touch up appointments take 1- 1.5 hours.
- HOW DO I BOOK AN APPOINTMENT?
All booking is done online through my booking site.
- WHAT IS YOUR CANCELLATION POLICY?
48 hour notice is required to make any changes to your appointment.
Any cancellations will be charged a cancelation fee of $80 for an initial session and $60 per touch up.
No-shows will result in a charge of 50% off appointment cost.
- WHAT FORM OF PAYMENT IS ACCEPTED?
Payment at your appointment may be made using a debit or credit card, or cash.
*All clients are required to be 18+ years of age, with or without parent consent